The Changing Paradigm of Classroom Assessments with Technology

When thinking about technology and the role it plays, or it can play rather, in assessment I think about the opportunities as well as the new challenges it brings to the table. As we at Grand Valley State University are rolling out new online programs and taking things/professors online that haven't been before, in relation to our topic this week, I often need to take a step back. I think initially when faculty, who are often told, are taking themselves and their courses online there's a lot of feeling of frustration. That frustration is often rooted in a couple things, firstly the amount of new work that was just laid on them. This is a very real and valid frustration and by no means would I ever criticize someone for feeling that. It's no small feat, it is a lot of work. The second frustration has a lot to do with a misunderstanding of the technology (particularly with the assessment) and thats what I'd like to further examine. 
To start with I think there is a huge misconception of what online assessment looks like. Echoing what was mentioned in our weekly exploration, when I am having conversations with faculty their initial thoughts and understanding is computer-based assessment, particularly things like multiple choice test banks, true/false, etc. To that, I am happy that they are working with myself and my team. While it may have its place, we generally push faculty away from things like that if it's possible. The world of computer-based assessment tends be a build an 11ft ladder for a 10ft wall situation, that is, when you administer a way to curb cheating someone finds away around it. The better approach dives into what the core of this course has been examining which is assessment as learning and the Authentic Assessment skills students need in academia and the rest of the world. That's where I come in a lot of times. 
I support and provide models for using tools and learning skills students will need to both complete an assignment and use later in life. A lot of this tends to look like video but it isn't always. Video is a platform that a lot of employers, at the very least, are expecting new hires to understand to some degree even if it's just knowing how something is made. It's getting to a level similar to how Microsoft Word was 20 years ago. It was a skill that employers needed you to have to function within their daily business. Similarly, video, in its many forms whether that be a Skype interview or a video tutorial, is becoming central in daily practices. 
Other ways of assessment look like using online team organization softwares and platforms, keeping tabs on the work students are doing to put together a presentation, Padlet and Google Drive are great for this. On these tools, individuals can come together to create and contribute things in development of a project, report, presentation, etc. The tools when used and implemented will more or less keep tabs on who is doing what. 
Whether it's video, web tools, 360° imagery, or 3D models there are countless ways to create meaningful assessment that teaches and activates those relevant skills and gets students thinking about the subject matter in authentic ways.

Comments

Popular Posts