Research and Perspectives on Classroom Assessments

This week's lesson was on research and perspectives on classroom assessment. Along with formative and summative assessment, we looked more at other models of assessment. I specifically read Two Models of Educational Assessment by Hager and Butler.
Hagar and Butler build these options out of basic world views of how the human mind works. The schools of thought are from an objectivist standpoint, where a scientific measurement model is the ideal approach. It is rooted in the facts of a lesson and assess based on the students knowledge of that lesson. The other view is a Judgmental model which takes more of a constructivists view. Assessment for this is built on the idea that understanding how to get to the answer holds as much, if not more, value than the answer itself.
These models shape how we approach assessment entirely as they come from two fields of thought on how the mind works entirely. My first thought on these is that it seems ideal to have a hybrid approach similar to multimodal learning. However, upon understanding further, that doesn't seem to be possible because their base of understanding is so vastly different.
I think I very much align with the constructivist view and Judgment model of assessment having more weight. As Justin mentioned in our discussion about the topic however, it seems like that model of assessment is naturally going to take more resources than say, a multiple choice test with an objectivist approach. The Judgment model ends up being more nuanced and admittedly not without some subjective influence from the assessors but, as the text mentions, you will never be without the subjective influence of the assessor, but I digress. Ultimately, when comparing the two approaching something with a Judgmental model, no matter the shape or form the assessment takes, will seem to be more resource intensive. If I am being honest though, I am still trying to separate the understanding of the models of assessment (Judgmental and Scientific) from the assessment strategy like a multiple choice test vs. a project based assignment. Just because someone subscribes to a Scientific model doesn't mean they're just going to through a bunch of multiple choice, true false types tests at their students. They could approach a project based assessment in a Scientific model way as well and simply assess on what the student knows in terms of a project.
I have been very interested in immersive and experiential learning for some time now and the piece on Playful Assessment got my gears turning on some examples I have seen recently. As the texts states "Playful Assessment is any assessment environment/context in which learners (i.e., examinees) have a full opportunity for exploring, discovering, and experimenting by interacting within a game-like context." (Choi & Young) At Grand Valley we have a faculty member David Eick who I have chatted with before doing something called Reacting to the Past. It is essentially table-top gaming but done in a way where the more students know about the lesson, in this case the history and life in a particular time period, they will have more of a chance of being successful in the game.

Comments

Popular Posts